Monday, April 7, 2008

It Is Well

This weekend was General Conference, a time that I look forward to. Not only because I get to hear general authorities and prophets speak, but my family comes together, and we eat good food and have good conversation. This April I was really looking forward to the actual counsel that I would get from the apostles and prophets. I have had a rough couple of weeks as I have made, in my own mind, some big decisions, and I have had moments of confusion and clarity. Mostly I feel that I am being led by the spirit, but I still have questions, so I went into this conference looking for answers and understanding. I had my pen ready with notes, and was hanging on every word. I found that Elder Bednar's talk answered most of my questions. He talked a lot about faith. I didn't get a direct answer, but what it came down to is having faith. It seems to always be the answer. There is a hymn that I absolutely love, it's not in the hymn book, written by Horatio G Spafford in 1873. First of all Horatio lost his son, soon after his son's death their house burned down, which ruined Horatio financially, then all four of his daughters died while sailing across the Atlantic. He wrote this hymn when he was sailing near the wreckage site himself. After I learned about the history for this hymn I loved it all the more, but I love one particular line in it, the very first verse that says:

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

How much faith was shown in the simple words, "whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say, it is well with my soul."

I try to remember those words, and think on how much better my situation is. These last few weeks I have been listening to this song a lot, I still find that it gives me the strength to keep going. The entire hymn is fantastic. I will copy and paste it for anyone who might want to read it.

It Is Well With My Soul

When peace like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Refrain:
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.

My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul.

Horatio Spafford

No comments: