Sunday, August 16, 2009

She is here!


Josephine Lynn Williams arrived on Aug. 7, 2009 at 6:35 p.m. I was at the hospital for more than 48 hours before I actually had her. On wed the 5th of Aug, I went to my weekly check up at my doctors office. They took my blood pressure and a sample of my urine and then told me that my blood pressure was too high and they found protein in my urine, which means I have pre-eclampsia, or toxemia. The doctor sent me to the hospital and told me that I would be having the baby within 24 hours. I wasn't ready to have my baby. Joe was in Arizona and I had just witnessed my sister-in-law give birth to her little boy two days earlier. it was kinda scary, and I was psyched out because of it. As soon as I left the doctors office I called my best friend crying, telling her how scared I was and totally unprepared, and that Joe is a days drive away. She reassured me that everything would be fine and by the time I got to the hospital I was much calmer. My mom met me there and I was admitted at 5 p.m. on Aug 5th. I finally got a hold of Joe at around 7:30 p.m. and I was scared he wouldn't get back in time for her birth, The nurse said that she thought I could have the baby by the morning, and they weren't going to wait for my husband. Joe managed to get a rental car and drove all night after working all day on the fire line in the hot sun. I was so worried, I prayed the whole time he was driving that all would be okay. Morning came and baby wasn't here. In fact they couldn't even get me to dilate so that they could start to induce my labor. Joe arrived at 6:30 a.m. and was glad that I hadn't had here, but it didn't seem like I would be having her anytime soon either. They continued to give me things that they thought would make my dilate, it didn't help at all, and I wasn't reacting to the inducing drug to make me go into labor. The doctor finally came into the room early on Friday morning, two days after being admitted, and told us that the last thing that they could do is break my water. Well if you don't know, once you break the water you have to have the baby within 24 hours no matter what, otherwise infection can start. So if breaking my water didn't make me go into labor than they would have to preform a c-section. I really didn't want to have a c-section, but I also really wanted Josie to be here. If I chose to go home then I would have to be on strict bed rest for the next few days and they would want me to come back in 2 days to try the whole process over again. The thought of going through everything that I had already done again was almost more than I could take. I told the doctor to go ahead and break my water. He said I had a 55% chance of having a c-section. The doctor broke my water and stripped my membranes at 11:30 a.m. Stripping my membranes was probably the most painful thing I have ever felt in my entire life. If you want to know what it is, look it up on the Internet. After the doctor did all that he told the nurses to go ahead and let me have the epidural as soon as I wanted because the pain was so intense. I took it! So I didn't feel any labor pains, but I think the membrane thing made up for it, I can't really say though. Just a few hours later I had Josie in my arms, so much for that 55% chance at a c-section. After my water broke I started labor on my own and they didn't even have to give me the drug that makes you go into labor. My actual delivery was really easy, and pretty quick. The doctor was really glad that I finally was having this baby. Let me tell you so were Joe and I!!! She was very water logged and puffy, so was I after being pumped full of fluids for the last 48 hours. So she weighed in a little heavier than she really was at 7lbs. 2 oz. and she was 19 inches long. She has some very red lips and is as cute as can be. When we left the hospital she had lost a pound the doctor said it was because of all my IV's, so I think she was really quite a small baby, who was a little plumped up, I was also very plumped up and let me just tell you I was peeing every hour for the next 36 hours. ha ha. So after a few very long days we finally got to take little Josie home and it has been so fun! Of course I am tired, and feedings are often, but somehow I just don't mind getting up every three hours to feed her. It's true when it's your own that somehow you just don't mind being tired from all the diapers and feedings. We just love our little Josie. Hopefully you can all meet her soon!

No comments: