Not that my thoughts or opinions matter too much in this world, but I have been thinking about this a great deal as I see article after article circulating around the internet and as I think of my young girls and how I would like them to see themselves and feel about themselves as they get older and mature.
I have two major thoughts on modesty 1. It's not about other people, male or female, bad thoughts or good thoughts, it's not about knees or elbows or wrists or ankles or belly buttons. 2. Modesty can be too much as much as it can be too little.
We often hear people say "Its just a shoulder. Why is that so bad, provocative, or inappropriate?" It's not. Or I don't think it was ever meant to be. Was the body created to be attractive? Yes, I believe we were created to be beautiful and attractive. But that's where things get blurry. Were our bodies created to flaunt and tempt? I'm sure they were not. Does that give people the right to blame others for their bad thoughts, even if they perceive that persons clothing to be inappropriate or immodest. HECK NO. We are accountable for ourselves and our thoughts. Does our Heavenly Father love us more or less if we choose to dress a certain way? No.
So whats the big deal with modesty? In my short 32 years of life I have come to the conclusion that modesty is about us and our relationship with our Heavenly Father. I can't say what kind of relationship people have with God, based off the way they dress. Every person on this earth has had different experiences and sees the world differently. The only thing I know is, for me, that the clothing I choose to wear is a direct reflection on my commitment to follow God.
If I wear my hair extra fancy or put on more makeup it probably means I'm going out with Joe and would like to appear more attractive or feminine for him. When fighting fire I wore nomex pants and nomex shirts down to the wrist, with leather gloves and leather boots and a hard hat. If I wear a swimsuit and flip flops, then I am going to the beach, most likely. We dress for lifes situations and events. I believe I would feel equally uncomfortable attending church in a strapless gown meant for a red carpet event as much as I would if I were to show up looking like I were going to go for a swim. I'm not saying we shouldn't go to church if we have to show up in a fire uniform, because ya know what, I've done that. But the effort and the attention we take to show respect to our Heavenly Father and ourselves is the reason we should take the effort in dressing modestly. It's not for anyone but ourselves. We know everyday when we put on our clothes if we are thinking about what our Heavenly Father would want us to do and how best we can feel his spirit with us, or if we are wearing something to get attention from the world. I know, and God knows. That's what modesty is. Its suppressing our desires to seek attention and keep ourselves in line with God.
No comments:
Post a Comment