"How does that even happen?" Those are the words that came out of Joe's mouth when I called him after my doctor appointment on Mon. May 20th. I was 8 weeks 2 days pregnant, but suspected I might have miscarried. I told the doctor that I was experiencing some tiredness and fatigue, but little to no morning sickness, which is very unusual for me. The doctor decided to get the ultra sound machine, just to take a look. He told me there may not be much to see, since I was only 8 weeks along. Moments after he started moving the wand across my belly he asked me to "hold this, just a moment" and left the room. I was thinking hmm, maybe I lost the baby? The doctor came back in with another doctor who started moving the wand across my belly. He immediately started nodding his head and saying "yes I see them, there are three." I wholeheartedly did not understand he was being serious and I jokingly said, "don't say that." He continued "there are for sure 2 heart beats, the 3rd is hard to tell." Then it hit me and I thought I cannot have 3 babies, what am I going to tell Joe?! Both doctor in almost perfect unison asked "were you taking fertility medicine?" "No, I have never needed to take fertility medicine." The doctors were just smiling at me like this was the best thing that could ever happen. The doctor then set me up an app. with an ultra sound tech to confirm things, and assured me there were likely 3 babies. I immediately called Joe whom I had to warn that I was not joking, that I was being dead serious, and that I didn't know if I should laugh or cry, as I was laughing and crying. How do you go to the doctors suspecting a miscarriage and end up with triplets?
I don't think I was in shock until after my ultra sound app. the next day when they confirmed things, and were able to measure each baby, and get the heart beats. Each baby was looking very healthy with its own sac and own placenta, so no worries about one overpowering the other, they will each get enough. In a way it was overwhelming to hear, it meant this was a done deal, things were unlikely to change, and yet I was excited to be the mother of triplets, even with all the diapers and bottles, and hours of lost sleep that come with it. I am scared to death. I am thrilled, and excited, the thought continues to go through my head that I will have more kids in one fell swoop than I currently have now. That is overwhelming, I will have 5 kids under 4, that is overwhelming. We will be a family of 7? That is so exciting, a family of 7!
Joe and I had agreed that this pregnancy was going to be my last, thinking we would forever be a little family of five, who could enjoy vacations, and camping and activities as a family of 5. But Heavenly Father had other plans, and he clearly gets his way. We have been pretty calm about the whole thing because we believe that it is what Heavenly Father wants, so what can you do but just roll with it, and do your best.
My original due date was Dec. 28 but triplets usually make an appearance around 34 weeks. Which would mean they would be here sometime mid Nov. We don't know if any are identical or fraternal yet, though the fact that they each have their own sac and placenta suggests they are fraternal.
We are also accepting donations of diapers and wipes, lol, I'm only kinda joking. ;)
1 comment:
Ah! Wow that is just the craziest thing! I've told so many people about that! It is crazy cool and my goodness, I can't even begin to imagine what you're thinking/feeling, but congratulations! I'm so anxious to hear what their genders are! They'll be so cute just like their sisters!
Post a Comment