Friday, July 25, 2008

Here is why I am tired!

Okay first off, I just got home from working a 38 hour shift straight, so why am I writing this, well because I am afraid that if I fall asleep before I write it down I will forget what I did. The reason we worked a full 38 without a break is because the fire we were on was only accessible by helicopter, so they flew us in. Your probably wondering if it was that hard to get too why didn't we just let it burn, because it could have easily come over the mountain and dropped down onto some campsites. Where lots of people like to camp, so they flew us in we worked through the night, and when morning came they couldn't send anyone to replace us because there were two other fires, one up bridal veil falls, and the other south of Y mountain. Not only that but the helicopter was now so busy that they couldn't even drop us more water and food, so we just continued with the water and food we had left and worked until another crew could come and take our place. We did stop for lunch and have a couple of hours to try to get some sleep, but you try to sleep when it's 98 degree's outside, with all your fire gear on and on the fire line, so anyway it was hot. But because we worked so many hours straight without time off, I am able to get tomorrow off paid, so in the end I guess it's kinda worth it. This is not the only reason I am tired, I spent 4 days in Neveda on a fire out in the middle of no where! Okay so there was a little town, but really it was the desert and it was hot. We were working 16 hour shifts and on the last day a tornado came threw and soaked all my gear, my sleeping bag and tent, and clothes. It was exciting, and I have to say seeing a tornado, that is pretty cool. But I got home late Wed. night and had to get up early thurs. morning, which was the first day of our almost 40 hours shift. So anyway in the end I worked 38 hours on only four hours of sleep. Yep I am tired, and Yep I still love my job I wouldn't change it. and Yes I am crazy!

PS I don't want to see another MRE for the rest of the summer!!

No comments: